Friday, August 26, 2011

Reinventing the Wheel

It seems that no matter what I do, I am a day late and a dollar short. I have what seems like doable ideas and then find out that someone else has done it in spades. Ususally someone braver, faster and more industrious than I am. I have never really been on the cutting edge of anything. I tend to be the tail wagging behind. I get in on the fun, but not the best of it and not right in the beginning.

Maybe it has to do with being a late bloomer. My mom was wise enough to start me in school a year late. Still I lacked a certain something that many of my school mates had...the ability to sit still in a chair for 45 minutes at a time. AAAARGH! That was a tough one!Thank God I had parents who advocated for me and didn't give up on me. I also had a few inspiring teachers whom I suspect had sat where I sat in their day.

Here I am starting into my second half century on this Earth and I am still learning things other folks learned long ago. I am beginning to understand organization a little bit. I am starting to keep records. I can get up at any time I choose now, rather than dragging out at 8:00 with my eyes swelled shut.

I am learning to surround myself with kind people and to let toxic ones pass me by. I am learning to let sleeping dogs lie. I am learning to speak up a little more quickly in certain situations, like bullying or persecution and to just shut up in others. I know how to say "No!" when it is best for me and my family.I have stopped complaining.Yes I did! I am wearing a gripe bracelet to prove it. If it is on my right wrist, I am being successful. It is almost never on the left one. Woo hoo!

I am thrilled with all this learning, except that the rest of the world learned much of this at 19. Well, I never was too speedy, more of a distance runner. I suppose if I keep it up perhaps I will cover some valuable ground along the way.For sure I will get more excitement out of learning to keep my room clean at 50 than I would have at 6. Also, if I had learned all these things at their appropriate times, I would have had to DO them al these years. I am tired now, imagine how tired I would be if I had been cleaning my room all these years. Whew, how do you early bloomers make it?

I think I will go rest up a bit and see what else I can learn tomorrow. Maybe, I can figure out the what not to wear concept...nah...no hope there.

Have fun. Don't take yourself too seriously.
L

2 comments:

*Reading Between the Lines* said...

Hey Lawana...
Yah...me too. ;~)
Love you bunches,
Mommy 2

Unknown said...

believe it or not I am the queen of procrastination and my life is as cluttered as my mind so no hope here. you are setting a good example, I just was never that good at following one...;0}