Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Are You Coughing? Kombucha Cough Syrup to the Rescue!


If you are like us and many of our friends, this winter has brought a nasty visitor that won't take the hint to leave. Our family picked up a cold and now most of us have a lingering cough. I understand that the cold is over but the lung tissues are left irritated and slightly damaged. The cough remains while the healing is occurring. It is nevertheless annoying. There are herbs that can speed up the healing and  I thought I would share a cough medicine recipe that I have altered using several others as prototypes. This cough syrup is SPICY but tastes surprisingly delicious even to my little ones. (Beware of fake coughing to get a dose, though it is a beneficial mixture for anyone, even if they are faking.)

Here is the recipe. It is for a tiny amount as it is live and unpasteurized. You can surely double it, triple it etc. I would probably make a quantity that would get used in a couple of days.

 Ingredients:
3T. Honey
3T. Kombucha, kefir whey, vinegar or lemon juice (I highly recommend a fermented liquid)
3T Water
1tsp. ground ginger
1tsp. ground cayenne

*Note for children or people who are sensitive to cayenne, you can reduce the amount of ginger and Cayenne to 1/2 or 1/4 tsp. You can start small and add more to taste as well. Generally, I make it as strong as my little patients can tolerate it.

Warm the honey and water together just until liquid.
Add the ginger and cayenne stir and let set until cooled
Add Kombucha.
Stir or shake well before administering as the herbs settle. That last dose could become a doozie!
Note: It is important to add your fermented liquid to the other ingredients after they have cooled to room temperature to preserve the live probiotics it contains.

This is all I have been using on these lingering coughs, with the exception of course of Meadow Magic Flannel Rub. www.meadowmagic.net. Just contact me over there if you need a warm hug for your cold!
God bless you!
Lawana

Let me know how it works for you.

No comments: