Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Love the Fog


The sun never came up this morning. It should have been up a while ago, but in it's place is a cool, velvety blanket of fog. Things that should be familiar take on different and intriguing shapes. Noises are dampered. The edges of my roof are dripping and my porch kitties are sleepy and stretchy. My youngest child exclaimed, "Mom it is really dusty outside!" She might not be able to remember last Autumn's foggy presence.

After the busy summer we have had, I welcome the shorter days and the milder weather of fall. It is a little sad to see everything in my garden going to seed and to know the frost will beat my best efforts to protect the squash and tomatoes any day now. But, I do look forward to quiet evenings reading with my family by the wood heater. (We hope to read all the Ralph Moody books in sequence this winter)

My house smells like mullein and yarrow right now. I am simmering mullein tea and also drying mullein and yarrow in the laundry room. Maybe later in the season these scents will be joined by baking pumpkins and simmering stews. For now, though I am just going to sip my tea and enjoy the foggy view.

God bless you!
Lawana

2 comments:

*Reading Between the Lines* said...

Well....
You know about me and the sunshine...glad you can enjoy the fog. ;~)
Its a bit chilly at my house...if we had some firewood...we would be a little toastier(My dh is working on getting us some 8~)
I am guarding my tomato plants...will be putting them into large planters soon. They are really producing and don't want to loose any.
I want some of you tea...
Guess I will have to go drink some of mine.
Love ya,
Mommy 2
P.S. The bunch of lavender finally arrived Saturday...and it smells yummy.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Ralph Moody books...wonderful....

JH